Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Aria Nuances in Chicago

After getting a great deal to stay at the Fairmont hotel in Chicago, I decided to eat in their restaurant called Aria. When I entered the restaurant, the hostess greeted me, asked if I was a guest, and took my name and room number. Then something strange happened. As she was about to lead me to my table, she asked if I would like a magazine. Huh? I said no, and indicated I had my own reading (notes from a meeting), and we proceeded to walk to the table. As we walked, I ask her, "Did you ask me if I wanted a magazine because I was eating alone?" "Yes," she replied, and we discussed a bit about why she was trained to do that as part of the customer experience, which to me was a brilliant deduction by the designers. After all, what is more awkward than eating alone and having nothing to do.

The food and service was very good, and I began to notice other things. The service staff seemed to walk at a very measured, relaxed pace. It was a very odd gait, but it essentially had an effect of slowing the whole place down and providing a more relaxed atmosphere. I couldn't tell whether the service staff was on drugs, or if it was part of their training to enhance the nuance of the experience - to bring a calm to the environment. If so, very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home