Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Digitial Photo Coproduction

When I was in high school, I was a photography nut. I had a camera, darkroom, and could do everything myself -- from loading film cartridges to printing photographs. Most other people I know where quite happy to bring their film to Fotomat for processing.

The digital photo age has certainly changed things. Fotomat appears to have evaporated and customers are now avid do-it-yourselfers in a variety of different ways. As discussed in this New York Times article, digital photographers have three choices these days for printing their photos -- Kiosk, Internet, or DIY with their own computer/printer (New York Times, 6/17/05).

Each of these involves the customer as coproducter. I like the Internet solution the best -- I've used Wal-Mart's service, but there are others. I can upload the photos I want printed, crop them if necessary, then have them mailed to me or held for pickup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home